Hilton Head, South Carolina is known for its family-friendly activities, top-rated golf courses, white sand beaches, and close proximity to Savannah, Georgia. This area set the stage for a relaxing, yet stimulating spot for a recent family vacation!
The town of Hilton Head Island has a rich history that began with seasonal occupation from Native American populations, then ex-slaves during the Civil War, leading to its modern-day era as a resort destination for hundreds of thousands of people each year. Full of history and activities, we were lucky enough to stay in Sea Pines Resort, a private resort on the southern tip of the island. (Funnily enough, this location was previously planned by the architecture firm I work for, Sasaki.) Forty miles away, Savannah, one of the largest National Historic Landmark Districts in the United States, is known for its architecture and as a famed filming location for movies like Forrest Gump. Needless to say, Phil and I couldn’t wait to head out to see what we could see.
Ultimately, appealing to a group of 10 was no easy task, but the Lowcountry offered countless opportunities to let loose, explore, and even learn. The following list outlines 10 of our not-to-miss experiences in the Hilton Head, SC and Savannah, GA area:
- Buy a salty dog t-shirt at the Salty Dog Cafe
- Rent bikes and ride to Harbour Town to climb the lighthouse
- Play with the dolphins at South Beach
- Cruise around Sea Pines to view the homes
- Do the legacy live oak tour in Sea Pines
- Meander around Sea Pines Forest Preserve on horseback
- Eat your way along the Riverwalk
- Walk around all of the squares and churches in Savannah
- Travel back in time at Wormsloe Historic Site
Have you ever visited Hilton Head Island, SC? How about Savannah? What are some recommendations for a potential second trip to the Lowcountry? We’d love to hear from you, share in the comments below!