While preparing for our next getaway, I started thinking about the to-dos that have to be completed before take off. In addition to cleaning out the fridge, changing the sheets, and asking a friend to get our mail, I pulled out the suitcases so we can start packing. One of my favorite (and easiest) bags to pack is my carry on. After two international trips in the last year alone, I have this down to a science and thought I would share my must-haves with you here.
14 Items I Always Have in My Carry On
- Pashmina: To cuddle up on those chilly flights or to use as a pillow, this purple pashmina is one item I never leave for the airport without.
- Water bottle: Dehydration is one of the most common consequences of flying. To help debunk the effects of not drinking enough water, I always ask for water from the flight attendant and I throw an empty water bottle in my bag. What’s my go to? I love S’wells. They keep your water cold for 24 hours – fill it up before boarding and have cold crisp water for the longest flights.
- Point & Shoot Compact Camera (Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS45): Want some of those over the wing pics of the sunrise or the bird’s eye view of your destination? Be sure to pack a point-and shoot camera like my Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS45.
- Book: Even though they take up more room, I love a good physical book. This trip I’m reading Beautiful Ruins – I let you all know how it is!
- Durable Tote: I’m a huge fan of durable totes for traveling. They are big enough to throw all of my 15 items, plus a neck pillow or even a change of clothes (if you want to be extra prepared in the case of lost luggage). Pictured: Madewell’s Transport leather tote in black.
- Headphones: I never board a plane without my Wireless Beats Solos2. They may not be noise canceling, but they are wireless and can fold up to save space in your carry on or suitcase.
- Sunglasses: Flying above the clouds during the day means that the sun is always out. I always pack a pair of sunglasses in case I want to block some of the light to take a nap.
- Cell Phone: Though I always have my Point & Shoot, I still love having my phone. I love shooting a text to family before takeoff and letting my ride from the airport (Uber or friend) know I’m there.
- Small Wallet: This is actually my day-to-day wallet, but it is the most amazing compact wallet when traveling. Cards and my license all fit inside easily and can fit into your crossbody once you get to your destination or in a jacket pocket.
- Tablet: My favorite thing for longer flights? Downloading some episodes on Netflix and watching them on my Kindle Fire. Try it, you won’t be disappointed!
- Advil: Just in case a surprise headache pops up while traveling, I am always sure to pack some advil.
- Gum: My ears have a history of blocking and not popping on their own while flying so I always have gum on me to help with the take offs and landings.
- Lotion & Lip Balm: Another way to fight the effects of dehydration? Lotion and lip balm. I love a calming lavender shea butter to smooth over dry hands and a red tinted lip balm to help with cracked lips.
- Hand Sanitizer: Germs are inevitable while traveling. So I’m constantly toting around hand sanitizer.
One thought on “14 Items I Always Have in My Carry On”
Great tips. Thanks.
LikeLiked by 1 person